Posted by Scott Tibbs at 4:00 AM (#)
Earlier this year, a so-called "professor" physically attacked a teenage girl and stole her property, because she did not like the political message on the girl's sign. It is inarguable that Mireille Miller-Young is a thug and a bully, but she is more than that - she is a terrorist. Let's review Merriam-Webster's definition of the word terrorism for more:
- The use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal
The definition fits. She is obviously not morally equal to the ISIS terrorists cutting a bloody swath across Iraq, but there are always degrees of crime. Shoplifting a candy bar is not the same as embezzling ten million dollars, and is not punished the same way. But both actions are stealing, and both perpetrators are thieves. This so-called "professor" did not fly a plane into a building or set fire to someone's home, but she is still a terrorist.
Some would say that my logic is the same as the "logic" the so-called "professor" used to accuse the teenager of being a terrorist. That is an absurd false equivalency bordering on moral relativism.
The teenage victim engaged in no violence. Miller-Young used violence to censor political speech she disliked and intimidate a teenager and her companion into not engaging in political speech, simply because she is bigger and stronger - which she openly bragged about doing. Her actions were designed to intimidate and censor future protests. The message behind Miller-Young's thuggery was clear: "If you come on campus with unapproved speech, university 'professors' will physically attack you and steal your things."
Miller-Young's defenders have whined about the "angry black woman" portrayal, but this is not a racial issue. This is a criminal issue, as well as an issue of free speech and civility. Attempting to deflect the legitimate consequences for her criminal behavior is not only desperate race-baiting, it is racist itself.
As a free society, we must not tolerate this kind of behavior from thugs like Miller-Young. The real issue is that an employee of a state university violently suppressed the free speech of a teenage girl who was peacefully picketing on campus. If we value free speech, this thuggery must be harshly punished.
Below are the rules for commenting on ConservaTibbs.com.
- A reasonable level of civility is expected. While it is expected that controversial political and social issues may generate heated debate, there are common-sense limits of civility that will be enforced.
- This blog is a family-friendly site. Therefore no cursing, profanity, vulgarity, obscenity, etc. will be allowed. This is a zero-tolerance rule and will result in automatic deletion of the offending post.
- Anonymity has greatly coarsened discourse on the Internet, so pseudonyms are discouraged but not forbidden. That said, any direct criticism of a person by name may not be done anonymously. If you criticize someone, you must subject yourself to the same level of scrutiny or the comment will be deleted.
- You must put a name or pseudonym on your comments. All comments by "Anonymous" will be deleted.
- Please keep your comments relevant to the topic of the post.
Thank you for your cooperation.
, Mike Newton said...
A weird case. I can't help feeling--in fact, I'm dead certain--that if this was a cop, attacking anyone but a "pro-life" demonstrator, most "conservatives" would be spewing variations of the tired old theme "You can't understand the stress she faces every day unless you have that job. She's only human!"
, Scott Tibbs said...
You have a very bad memory.