Posted by Scott Tibbs at 7:00 AM (#)
I have been blogging for nearly twelve years now, and for several years before that I maintained a personal website to collect various articles and editorials I have written over the years. But why do I do this? Why do I maintain this blog, and why have I done it for so long?
Here is the answer: This is a hobby. No more, no less.
Basically, I am just another nerd on the web with a very small following. I will never be on the same level as someone like Matt Walsh, and I will never do this for a living. If I were somehow able to manage to make this my job, I would probably be miserable. I do not have the salesman's personality needed to sell to advertisers and once this becomes a chore, it would not be fun and I would not want to do it any more.
I am very happy with my life and with the limited reach this blog has. The purpose of this post is to put this in perspective. This is a hobby. Of course, I believe what I am saying, and because this is only a hobby I am free to post what I want without a lot of pressure.
Generally, my goal is to get three posts up a week. For the most part, I have been able to do that. Sometimes, I do significantly more than that, though that is rare. It depends on whether I get excited about several topics and motivated to write about them. But it may be that some weeks I will not post anything at all. (That is rare too.)
Maybe someday, I’ll decide it's over and pack it up. I will close the blog and the public social media accounts. Today is not that day, and that day may not be for many years. What I have to do is keep what I am doing here in perspective. I am thankful for the limited influence I have. I am also very thankful for those who read what I post. Thank you for allowing me to have some space on your web browsers for whatever frequency you visit the blog.
Note: All posts must be approved by the blog owner before they are visible on the blog.
Below are the rules for commenting on ConservaTibbs.com.
- A reasonable level of civility is expected. While it is expected that controversial political and social issues may generate heated debate, there are common-sense limits of civility that will be enforced.
- This blog is a family-friendly site. Therefore no cursing, profanity, vulgarity, obscenity, etc. will be allowed. This is a zero-tolerance rule and will result in automatic deletion of the offending post.
- Anonymity has greatly coarsened discourse on the Internet, so pseudonyms are discouraged but not forbidden. That said, any direct criticism of a person by name cannot be done anonymously. If you criticize someone, you have to subject yourself to the same level of scrutiny or the comment will be deleted.
- Please keep your comments relevant to the topic of the post.
- All moderation decisions are final. I may post an explanation or I may not, depending on the situation. If you have a question or a concern about a moderation decision, e-mail me privately rather than posting in the comments.
Thank you for your cooperation.