Posted by Scott Tibbs at 4:00 AM (#)
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. - Psalm 14:1
It is understandable why people of faith would want to proselytize for their faith. But why do people who allegedly have no faith proselytize for their beliefs? The answer is simple: Atheism is a religion.
First, a point of order. The point of this post is not to argue young-earth creationism vs. evolution. Nothing is going to be solved and no one is going to change his mind based on what I say here. My point is attitude and motivation.
Last week, I said on Twitter than I do not have enough faith to believe in evolution. I got a flood of comments in response to that statement from angry atheists. (See those responses here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here.)
So what does it matter than some nobody on Twitter says that he does not believe in evolution? Why would anyone be offended by that? How does that affect anyone's life in any way? In the big scheme of things, why does it matter what I think about the origins of the universe?
The answer is that there is no such thing as an atheist, as Scripture makes clear to us in Romans 1:18-25. Everyone knows that God exists, but most rebel against Him. In centuries past, those who refused to worship the living God would worship idols made of stone or wood. Today, mankind worships itself and its intellect. Scientists are the prophets of the religion of atheism, allowing us to pretend that the world was created without a Creator.
When I say I do not believe the proclamations of the prophets and priests of atheism, I am committing "blasphemy" and heresy against the false god of atheism. Therefore, those who worship atheism are offended in much the same way that Muslim terrorists are offended by people who commit "blasphemy" against the prophet Mohammed. No, I am not subject to being killed for my beliefs, but atheist regimes in the Soviet Union, North Korea and Communist China were (and are) well known for murdering and torturing Christians.
As Christians, we need to recognize the spiritual realities behind the battles over evolution, especially as politicians are ridiculed and shamed and eventually bullied into towing the line on that particular myth. This is a battle between the One True Religion and the latest fakery to lead souls astray. We must see the bigger picture if we are to be faithful.
Note: All posts must be approved by the blog owner before they are visible on the blog.
, Mike Newton said...
"But why do people who allegedly have no faith proselytize for their beliefs? The answer is simple: Atheism is a religion."
And once again, absolutely ridiculous. Scientists hypothesize, then seek facts to support or refute their hypotheses, accepting whatever answer the prevailing evidence supplies. Religious "true believers" spew superstition based on blind faith in ancient myths, while rejecting all scientific and historical evidence to the contrary. The two world views are polar opposites, only one of them rational, yet religious zealots insist on branding their critics as "religious"--presumably the worst insult their strange "minds" can conceive.
Below are the rules for commenting on ConservaTibbs.com.
- A reasonable level of civility is expected. While it is expected that controversial political and social issues may generate heated debate, there are common-sense limits of civility that will be enforced.
- This blog is a family-friendly site. Therefore no cursing, profanity, vulgarity, obscenity, etc. will be allowed. This is a zero-tolerance rule and will result in automatic deletion of the offending post.
- Anonymity has greatly coarsened discourse on the Internet, so pseudonyms are discouraged but not forbidden. That said, any direct criticism of a person by name cannot be done anonymously. If you criticize someone, you have to subject yourself to the same level of scrutiny or the comment will be deleted.
- Please keep your comments relevant to the topic of the post.
- All moderation decisions are final. I may post an explanation or I may not, depending on the situation. If you have a question or a concern about a moderation decision, e-mail me privately rather than posting in the comments.
Thank you for your cooperation.