E-mail Scott

February 2017
March 2017
April 2017

Powered by Blogger

Friday, July 10, 2015

Looking back on corporate welfare for Planned Parenthood

Posted by Scott Tibbs at 4:00 AM (#)

As I have done for thirteen of the previous fifteen years, I attended the Bloomington City Council meeting last month to lobby the councilors not to give taxpayer money to Planned Parenthood. After several people spoke, including one man who gave a powerful speech about his own child, the city council voted unanimously to fund PP without any comment or attempt to justify the vote. In years past, they have at least attempted to justify their votes. Not this year.

This unanimous vote took place despite very disturbing testimony from one local resident who reported the findings of Indiana's state health department finding numerous serious violations at the Bloomington Planned Parenthood "clinic." One of those violations was patient files stored in an insecure location, a decade after the city council gave Planned Parenthood a handout partially to address secure file storage.

One of the excuses corporate welfare apologists have used in the past is that the social services funding recommendations are an "all or nothing" deal. The councilors can either vote for all of the grants or vote for none of them. Should the other organizations face a potential disruption in order to deny Planned Parenthood? But this has always been a disingenuous rebuttal to pro-life objections to giving a handout to Bloomington's abortion mill.

The Monroe County Council, which has only been distributing social service grants since 2008, has found a solution to this problem. They vote on each individual grant one at a time. This allows councilors who oppose funding for certain organizations to vote their conscience while supporting grants to other organizations. This is one reform that should be implemented for the 2016 social services funding process.

It is clear that the city council does not care about the sincere objections of local citizens to being forced to fund an abortion mill. The bored, dismissive facial expressions and gestures of some of the councilors was plenty of evidence for that. In the 2015 city elections, the people of Bloomington should vote for diversity and vote for councilors who take citizen objections seriously. That means not voting for any Democrats.

(6 Comments)

Note: All posts must be approved by the blog owner before they are visible on the blog.

Comments:

At July 10, 2015 at 9:34 AM , Blogger TableTopJoe said...

Perhaps your city council addresses your objections with "bored, dismissive facial expressions and gestures" because you have said the same thing "for thirteen of the previous fifteen years" and are akin to a broken record?

Just because you feel strongly about the issue does not make yours the majority opinion. I am glad that you are running for this office; perhaps after you lose the election, you will then be convinced that only a small minority of your fellow citizens share your views.

At July 11, 2015 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Scott Tibbs said...

When I noticed the dismissive attitude of the councilors was when others were speaking, not during my speech.

"Majority opinion" is the appeal to popularity fallacy. It does not address whether Planned Parenthood needs or deserves the handout.

If and when I lose, it won't necessarily be a reflection on me or my opposition to corporate welfare for Planned Parenthood. I'm running as a write in, meaning I'm not on the ballot.

To mount a serious campaign, I would have to be going door-to-door and campaigning every day, at least 20-30 hours a week. I'm not doing that.

I would also have to raise and spend a minimum of $10,000 to be truly competitive. $15,000 to $20,000 would be better, and I would have had to start the process of raising money in the summer of 2014. I've spent $8.00 so far.

As I explained in my announcement, I'm running purely to provide voters a choice they would not have otherwise.

If I had not filed, voters would have only four options for the three at-large seats, when to truly have a choice there should be at least six. With me in the mix, there are five options at-large.

At July 12, 2015 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Mike Newton said...

Your "Throwback Thursday" comment on rape has a bug rejecting comments, so I'll slip one in here. Rape is certainly a heinous crime--but once again, your GOP allies are calling it a "blessing" if it results in pregnancy. Most recently, lawmaker Brian Kurcaba of W.Va. and party official Sharon Barnes in Mo. Why do you ally yourself with such fanatical morons?

At July 12, 2015 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Scott Tibbs said...

I disabled comments on the Throwback Thursday post because it was a link to an earlier post from 2012.

And, as usual, your "guilt by association" in a party that encompasses 40% of voters in a country of 300 million people is just silly.

There are bound to be wackos in both parties.

At July 12, 2015 at 9:05 AM , Blogger Scott Tibbs said...

It made sense to have comments on the post itself, rather than a link to the post.

At July 14, 2015 at 7:32 PM , Blogger Steve Hicks said...

I would suggest Mr. Mike Newton and TableTop Joe actually LOOK at current polling data concerning abortion in the U.S.. YOUR position,"gentlemen" has become the minority position...

Below are the rules for commenting on ConservaTibbs.com.

1. A reasonable level of civility is expected. While it is expected that controversial political and social issues may generate heated debate, there are common-sense limits of civility that will be enforced.

2. This blog is a family-friendly site. Therefore no cursing, profanity, vulgarity, obscenity, etc. will be allowed. This is a zero-tolerance rule and will result in automatic deletion of the offending post.

3. Anonymity has greatly coarsened discourse on the Internet, so pseudonyms are discouraged but not forbidden. That said, any direct criticism of a person by name cannot be done anonymously. If you criticize someone, you have to subject yourself to the same level of scrutiny or the comment will be deleted.

4. Please keep your comments relevant to the topic of the post.

5. All moderation decisions are final. I may post an explanation or I may not, depending on the situation. If you have a question or a concern about a moderation decision, e-mail me privately rather than posting in the comments.

Thank you for your cooperation.