Posted by Scott Tibbs at 4:00 AM (#)
If you've followed the conservative Internet, or seen conservative friends post about this on social media, you have probably seen the allegation that Sweet Cakes By Melissa was forbidden from speaking about their case. (This is the business that refused to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding and was then punished by the government.)
But here's the deal. They were not actually gagged. You can see this article for more, but the order was also quoted by Todd Starnes at Fox News. Specifically, the owners were ordered to:
|Cease and desist from publishing, circulating, issuing or displaying, or causing to be published, circulated, issued or displayed, any communication, notice, advertisement or sign of any kind to the effect that any of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, services or privileges of a place of public accommodation will be refused, withheld from or denied to, or that any discrimination will be made against, any person on account of sexual orientation.|
See pages 42-43 of the order.
Basically, it comes down to this: The Kleins may continue to publicly speak about the case, and why they believe it is wrong. They may continue to advocate for changing the law, and publicly explain that their rights were violated. What they are forbidden from doing is publicly stating that the business will not provide a cake (or any other service the business normally provides) for a same-sex wedding.
I've blogged at length about why I believe that business owners should be allowed to serve or not serve whoever they please. The point is not to go over that ground again. The point is that when we criticize the Left, bad policy, or government overreach we need to be accurate and truthful in what we say. I found the idea that the Kleins were banned from speaking about the case to be questionable, if plausible. (After all, similar gag orders do exist.) But now that we know what the facts are, we need to stick to those facts.
Note: All posts must be approved by the blog owner before they are visible on the blog.
Below are the rules for commenting on ConservaTibbs.com.
- A reasonable level of civility is expected. While it is expected that controversial political and social issues may generate heated debate, there are common-sense limits of civility that will be enforced.
- This blog is a family-friendly site. Therefore no cursing, profanity, vulgarity, obscenity, etc. will be allowed. This is a zero-tolerance rule and will result in automatic deletion of the offending post.
- Anonymity has greatly coarsened discourse on the Internet, so pseudonyms are discouraged but not forbidden. That said, any direct criticism of a person by name cannot be done anonymously. If you criticize someone, you have to subject yourself to the same level of scrutiny or the comment will be deleted.
- Please keep your comments relevant to the topic of the post.
- All moderation decisions are final. I may post an explanation or I may not, depending on the situation. If you have a question or a concern about a moderation decision, e-mail me privately rather than posting in the comments.
Thank you for your cooperation.