Posted by Scott Tibbs at 4:00 AM (#)
Now that 2016 is upon us, allow me to repeat what I have been saying for months now: If Donald Trump is the Republican nominee for President, I am voting Libertarian.
Would it be better if I did not vote at all, then? No, that is silly. The other Republican candidates on the ballot will get my vote. I will support the Republican candidates for county council, county commissioner, state representative, governor, Congress, Senate, and so forth. Furthermore, in those down-ballot races (especially for county government) my vote matters much more than my vote for President.
So, no, it would not be better if I did not vote at all.
Trump's position on eminent domain alone disqualifies him from getting my vote. There are many more reasons to oppose Trump, but that is an automatic disqualification. It is an unconstitutional power grab by government that never should have been allowed in the abominable Kelo vs City of New London decision a decade ago. Even if using government as a hired thug to steal people's land and give it to private developers was constitutional (it is not) that is still a drastic limitation on our private property rights that cannot be tolerated.
Let me also say this right now: I decided in 2008 that I could not in good conscience support John McCain, but I would vote for McCain a hundred billion times before I ever vote for Donald Trump. Trying to browbeat me into supporting Trump will not only fail to work, it will only serve to harden my opposition to him. Every single time I am accused of helping Huillary Clinton by opposing Trump, I will oppose Trump even more.
Hopefully, it will not come to that. Hopefully, Donald Trump will not be the Republican nominee for President. We have a lot of quality candidates running for the Republican nomination, and while I am less than thrilled with some of them I would not hesitate to vote for any of them over Hillary Clinton. But I will never vote for Donald Trump.
♣ Donald Trump's war against private property rights -- April 28, 2011
♣ I will never vote for Donald Trump! -- June 19, 2015
♣ Why is Donald Trump so popular? -- July 13, 2015
♣ Donald Trump is not qualified to be President -- July 31, 2015
♣ Conservatives need to stop this stupid celebrity worship! -- August 14, 2015
♣ Donald Trump is a pathetic crybaby, wimp and coward -- September 3, 2015
♣ Republicans must not nominate Donald Trump! -- September 22, 2015
♣ Republican hypocrites for Donald Trump -- October 7, 2015
♣ Donald Trump is wrong on immigration and September 11 -- October 28, 2015
Note: All posts must be approved by the blog owner before they are visible on the blog.
Below are the rules for commenting on ConservaTibbs.com.
- A reasonable level of civility is expected. While it is expected that controversial political and social issues may generate heated debate, there are common-sense limits of civility that will be enforced.
- This blog is a family-friendly site. Therefore no cursing, profanity, vulgarity, obscenity, etc. will be allowed. This is a zero-tolerance rule and will result in automatic deletion of the offending post.
- Anonymity has greatly coarsened discourse on the Internet, so pseudonyms are discouraged but not forbidden. That said, any direct criticism of a person by name cannot be done anonymously. If you criticize someone, you have to subject yourself to the same level of scrutiny or the comment will be deleted.
- Please keep your comments relevant to the topic of the post.
- All moderation decisions are final. I may post an explanation or I may not, depending on the situation. If you have a question or a concern about a moderation decision, e-mail me privately rather than posting in the comments.
Thank you for your cooperation.