Posted by Scott Tibbs at 4:00 AM (#)
A few random things:
♣ - If you are dropping someone off at his destination, do not stop in the middle of the street. It is rude to hold up and block traffic so you can drop off your passenger, especially if there is a parking lot nearby where you can pull in and let him out. In addition to being rude, it is dangerous because nobody is expecting you to do that. This is not hard to figure out, people. If you can take the time to give someone a lift, you can take the time to drop him off at a safe location.
♣ - Speaking of traffic etiquette, if you pass someone on the interstate. at least go the speed that person was traveling. It is very irritating to see someone pass me and then proceed to drive slower than I was driving before he went around me. Stop doing that. If you want to go faster than me, then go faster than me.
♣ - After midnight on New Year's Eve is not the time to set off fireworks. After midnight is never the time to set off fireworks, unless you are in a rural area where you will not disturb your neighbors.
♣ - If the Herald-Times wants people to follow the comment guidelines, commenters have to know what the rules are. More clear guidelines would make it easier to know what is and is not allowed and would reduce the "judgment calls" that make it seem like the moderators are unfair.
One way to do this is to eliminate the generic ban on "offensive" content. There are very, very few posts on HTO that cannot be deemed "offensive" by someone and subject to deletion. Instead, specify what kind of offensive content will not be allowed. Obviously, it is impossible to foresee every single scenario, and nobody expects that. But the rules certainly could be a lot more clear.
Note: All posts must be approved by the blog owner before they are visible on the blog.
Below are the rules for commenting on ConservaTibbs.com.
- A reasonable level of civility is expected. While it is expected that controversial political and social issues may generate heated debate, there are common-sense limits of civility that will be enforced.
- This blog is a family-friendly site. Therefore no cursing, profanity, vulgarity, obscenity, etc. will be allowed. This is a zero-tolerance rule and will result in automatic deletion of the offending post.
- Anonymity has greatly coarsened discourse on the Internet, so pseudonyms are discouraged but not forbidden. That said, any direct criticism of a person by name cannot be done anonymously. If you criticize someone, you have to subject yourself to the same level of scrutiny or the comment will be deleted.
- Please keep your comments relevant to the topic of the post.
- All moderation decisions are final. I may post an explanation or I may not, depending on the situation. If you have a question or a concern about a moderation decision, e-mail me privately rather than posting in the comments.
Thank you for your cooperation.