Posted by Scott Tibbs at 4:00 AM (#)
Note: The following open letter was sent to the Marlin Stutzman campaign.
Fighting the Republican establishment is worthless if you claim hyperpartisan Democrats as your allies while you do it. That is exactly what you are doing in your false attack on Todd Young for "tax evasion."
First off, you prominently quote Cathy Smith, a hyperpartisan Democrat who used this as a political tool to attack Young by falsely accusing him of "homestead fraud." You are repeating Democrat talking points, which is not something a Republican seeking Republican votes in a primary should be doing.
Second - and this is the most important part of this story - it was a mistake. Young never claimed anything that he was not entitled to claim. As his campaign explained, he moved out of a home he owned, but did not remove the homestead deduction he had previously been entitled to claim for that home. When the mistake was found, he corrected it and paid the back taxes due. This is much ado over nothing.
Obviously, we cannot all be perfect like you are, Congressman Stutzman. Oh wait: You spent campaign funds in a questionable manner and reimbursed your campaign for the expense when the spending was discovered. I think that is also much ado over nothing, but the bottom line here is this: Do not throw stones if you live in a glass house.
I will vote for you if you win the primary, and I have always maintained that both you and Young are highly qualified to be our next U.S. Senator. While I voted for Young, I have always said I wish I could have voted for both of you but unfortunately can only choose one. But this attack is unseemly and an endorsement of hyperpartisan Democrats. You are strengthening Baron Hill and the Democrats this fall. You need to retract this line of attack.
Note: All posts must be approved by the blog owner before they are visible on the blog.
Below are the rules for commenting on ConservaTibbs.com.
- A reasonable level of civility is expected. While it is expected that controversial political and social issues may generate heated debate, there are common-sense limits of civility that will be enforced.
- This blog is a family-friendly site. Therefore no cursing, profanity, vulgarity, obscenity, etc. will be allowed. This is a zero-tolerance rule and will result in automatic deletion of the offending post.
- Anonymity has greatly coarsened discourse on the Internet, so pseudonyms are discouraged but not forbidden. That said, any direct criticism of a person by name cannot be done anonymously. If you criticize someone, you have to subject yourself to the same level of scrutiny or the comment will be deleted.
- Please keep your comments relevant to the topic of the post.
- All moderation decisions are final. I may post an explanation or I may not, depending on the situation. If you have a question or a concern about a moderation decision, e-mail me privately rather than posting in the comments.
Thank you for your cooperation.