|Thursday, October 27, 2016|
Posted by Scott Tibbs at 4:00 AM (#)
The extremes we are seeing from Donald Trump cultists this election, while far from unique and not new in any way, nonetheless represent a very disturbing development in modern politics. Threatening to blow up the Arizona Republic, threatening to murder newspaper employees or even going to the fanatical extreme of spitting on children who are delivering newspapers shows that many Trump cultists are no different than the Muslim terrorists who rioted over cartoons of Mohammad.
This is not about politics. This is not about Republicans and Democrats. This is about basic human decency. This is about violence and threats of violence. This is about criminal acts. Much more important in the eternal scheme of things, this is about idolatry.
Tens of millions of people support Trump and will vote for him. Whether you agree with them or not, that is a valid position. It is completely valid for Trump supporters to argue against those who oppose him, criticize him or support one of his opponents. What is not valid is to be such a fanatic for your chosen candidate that you cease to be a supporter and become a cultist. What is not valid is to view Donald Trump the same way the Branch Davidians viewed David Koresh. What is not valid is to treat those you disagree with politically as if they are heretics to your cult.
What is absolutely not valid is to threaten to murder innocent people because a newspaper's editorial board did not endorse your candidate. If these fanatics/cultists carried out their threats, actually waged jihad for Trump and committed acts of terrorism against the newspaper, how do they know that the people they are murdering are not actually Trump supporters? It is very likely, after all, that there are employees who do not agree with the editorial board's position - though significantly less so when cultists are waging jihad against them.
This wickedness is not the behavior of rational political actors who genuinely want what is best for these United States. This is the behavior of a dangerous, fanatical cult acting against what they see as "witches" and heretics. This is fanaticism and this is idolatry. But be warned: Almighty God will judge and punish that idolatry. The idolaters who made these threats need to get down on their knees and repent of this wickedness and pray for His mercy, lest they face eternal damnation in the Lake of Fire.
Note: All posts must be approved by the blog owner before they are visible on the blog.
Below are the rules for commenting on ConservaTibbs.com.
- A reasonable level of civility is expected. While it is expected that controversial political and social issues may generate heated debate, there are common-sense limits of civility that will be enforced.
- This blog is a family-friendly site. Therefore no cursing, profanity, vulgarity, obscenity, etc. will be allowed. This is a zero-tolerance rule and will result in automatic deletion of the offending post.
- Anonymity has greatly coarsened discourse on the Internet, so pseudonyms are discouraged but not forbidden. That said, any direct criticism of a person by name cannot be done anonymously. If you criticize someone, you have to subject yourself to the same level of scrutiny or the comment will be deleted.
- Please keep your comments relevant to the topic of the post.
- All moderation decisions are final. I may post an explanation or I may not, depending on the situation. If you have a question or a concern about a moderation decision, e-mail me privately rather than posting in the comments.
Thank you for your cooperation.